What To Know When Selecting An Immigration Attorney In Idaho

How Our Immigration Attorneys Can Help You

Nampa, ID Immigration Lawyer | Updated April 2021

Why Trust Us With Your Immigration Case?

Immigration is a complicated matter around the world, and the rules and systems in place in America are no exception to this. Immigration law is notoriously complicated. Many people find themselves confused about what to do next when dealing with immigration, green card, or visa-related issues.

Here’s why you should trust Skaug Law with your immigration matters:

1. Our Attorneys Have Experience In Immigration Law. 

Former U.S. Congressman Raúl Labrador (2011-2019) is a trusted immigration lawyer who has served the people of Idaho for his entire career.

As an immigration attorney, Raúl Labrador has helped hundreds of people resolve their issues. You can learn more about Raúl here.

2. We Won’t Take Your Case Unless We Think We Can Help You.

Helping others achieve their citizenship goals is one of the most satisfying parts of our job. Sadly, some law firms take advantage of people seeking to stay in the United States.

We will tell you the truth and explain your options, so you can make the best decision about what steps to take.

3. You Can Speak With Us In Spanish Or English.

Skaug Law serves Spanish-speaking clients with more bilingual staff than any other plaintiff law firm in Idaho. Eight of our legal staff speak Spanish, including two attorneys.

4. Since 1992, Skaug Law Has Helped Thousands Of Clients To Succeed.

Why Trust Us With Your Immigration Case?

Immigration paperwork can be detailed and difficult. An error can delay your application or cause it to be rejected.

At Skaug Law, your immigration team will make the process easier for you and help you avoid mistakes.

Don’t put it off. Call attorney Raúl Labrador today.

You can have a no-pressure conversation with Raúl to learn your rights and how to solve your immigration issues. We are here to help.

Call now, 208-466-0030. Legal specialists are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How An Immigration Attorney Can Help

While all aspects of immigration can technically be handled without a lawyer, immigration matters can often be better approached with knowledgeable legal advice on your side. Without guidance, critical errors that could result in serious delays or worse, deportation, can occur.

Hiring immigration attorneys with experience from our staff at Skaug Law as your immigration consultants can greatly improve your case.

What exactly can an immigration attorney help you with? Find out today.

What Do Immigration Attorneys Do?

Immigration attorneys are lawyers who have specialized experience in dealing with all aspects of immigration. From representing their clients in various administrative courts to counseling their clients about all types of immigration matters and related legal rights, these lawyers have experience in everything about immigration from start to finish.

Through a deep and thorough knowledge of American immigration law, immigration attorneys are able to give counsel and suggest the next steps for their clients.

Types Of Immigration Matters

There are many types of immigration matters we can help you with at Skaug Law:

  • Immigrant Visa
    Immigrant visas are visas that are issued to approved foreign nationals who plan to live permanently in the United States. You need this type of visa if you plan to move to America long-term without being a citizen.
  • Non-Immigrant Visa
    Non-immigrant visas are work, study, and travel visas that are granted to those who want to visit the United States or come to the United States for a specific amount of time for a specific purpose.
    You will need this type of visa when you plan to be in the United States for a temporary stay for things like medical procedures, tourism, study, or business.
  • Adjustment Of Status
    Adjustment of Status is the process of applying for a Green Card while you are already in the United States. The standard Green Card process is done from abroad, but the adjustment of status process exists so those who have been legally in the United States can try to change over to a Green Card.
  • Green Card
    The Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card, is an official document granted by the United States to those who have been given permission to live in the United States permanently.
    Green Cards give the holder the right to legally live and work in America, and they may also be able to apply for citizenship after three to five years.
  • Naturalization
    Naturalization is the process by which legal, permanent residents in the United States can apply to become U.S. citizens. This process opens up to Green Card holders after a few years and is the only way for immigrants to become legal citizens.
  • Family-Based Immigration
    Family-based immigration is the system that allows immediate or close relatives of U.S. citizens or Green Card holders to apply for a visa to come live permanently in the United States. Family-based immigration can typically be used for spouses, parents, children, and siblings depending on the situation.
  • Employment-Based Immigration
    A certain number of employment-based immigration visas are available in the U.S. each year; around 140,000 visas are divided into different categories and then given out to qualified individuals.
  • VAWA And U-visas
    VAWA, a visa specifically for domestic violence survivors of a U.S. citizen or lawful resident, and U-visas, visas specifically for those who have helped in criminal cases or persecution against certain crimes, are specialty visas for immigration to the U.S.

To talk to us specifically about your issues or what you need counsel about, contact us today for a free consultation.

Immigration Attorney FAQs


The cost of filing immigration papers is going to depend on the specific type of paperwork that you need to file for, what type of immigration documentation you are hoping to receive, and whether or not you hire a lawyer to help you prepare the papers.

The total fee for filing a U.S. citizenship application as of writing this article is $725; these application processings and services fees are non-refundable regardless of the outcome. Other applications, such as visa applications, are not as expensive, but they still cost quite a bit.

A rejected application can be a huge hit to your budget. While hiring an immigration attorney also requires a monetary investment, they can help give you a better chance of having a successful application through their counsel and guidance.


When applying to become a US citizen, there is no scenario in which you will be required to use a lawyer.

That being said, many people have found great success in hiring an immigration attorney to help with their case because of the benefits having such a lawyer bring to immigration matters.

If you do have an immigration attorney working with you, they are able to file legal documents on your behalf since they are your representative. Additionally, they can be present at administrative court and immigration interviews with you.

Still, you are not required to hire or use an immigration lawyer if you prefer not to.


There are a few different categories of green cards, and each category has a number of subsets that can become quite confusing.

The primary categories of Green Cards that may be available to you are as follows:

  • Family-Based Green Card
    This type of green card is for the spouse, children, parents, or siblings of a U.S. citizen or current Green Card holder.
  • Employment-Based Green Card
    Employment-based green cards are for workers in specific subcategories who want to live and work permanently in the U.S.
  • Humanitarian Green Card
    This category is for green cards given to those who want to move to the U.S. to escape a dangerous situation or humanitarian crisis. This category may apply if you are a refugee, seeking asylum, a victim of human-trafficking, a crime victim, or otherwise in danger if you are not able to stay in the United States.
  • Diversity Lottery Green Card
    The U.S. grants green card eligibility to up to 50,000 people each year from countries that have had historically low immigration to the U.S.
  • Continuous Residency Green Card
    Individuals who have lived in the U.S. continuously since before January 1, 1972 may be eligible for this type of green card as a long-time resident of the U.S.

Sorting through all of these different green card types, the variations of rules for each type, and how to determine what you are eligible for is overwhelming. Here at Skaug Law, we have the experience to help you make these determinations. Contact us today for a free consultation.


As with most immigration issues, you are not required to have a lawyer representing you when applying for a green card. This applies whether you are applying in the United States or if you are applying from overseas.

The documentation required for applying for a green card is, however, notoriously complicated. The bureaucracy of immigration in America is very complicated, and that is why there are many lawyers who have devoted their lives to learning the ins and outs of the immigration processes.

Rather than struggle through these complications alone, hiring an immigration attorney to assist you can be a great way to save time and ensure you have the best chance possible to be approved for your green card.


The process of getting a Green Card is very complicated. There are different types of Green Cards as well as different application timelines depending on which type of card you are applying for.

Family Green Cards, for example, can take between one and ten years to process depending on a number of factors; employment visas tend to take between one and six years depending on the competition for the specific visa type.

On average, it takes between seven months and almost three years to process Green Card applications. It might take even longer to actually receive the Green Card itself.

To get an estimate of how long you might expect your Green Card process to take or advice on how to speed up the process, call us at Skaug Law for a free immigration consultation.


An immigrant petition (Form I-140) is a form that is used to apply for an alien worker to be granted permanent residency status. A non-immigration petition (Form I-129) is a petition for a nonimmigrant worker to be able to come to the U.S. to work or train without the intention to stay permanently.

Get The Support That You Need

Immigration is complicated, confusing, and something that takes years of research to get a good grasp on. Even when you have experience with the system, it is constantly evolving and changing as laws are updated and court cases are decided. It would be unreasonable to expect the average person to fight with the immigration system to be able to know it all.

That is why hiring an experienced immigration attorney like Raúl Labrador or one of our other experienced immigration staff members here at Skaug Law can be the key to a successful outcome.

Don’t face citizenship and immigration services alone. You can find the support you need from a local immigration attorney in Idaho; look no further than our law firm at Skaug Law!

Accredited by the Better Business BureauMember. Idaho Trial Lawyers AssociationAmerican Association Of JusticeBJA_badge_revised_50Top 10 Workers Compensation Law FirmBest personal injury attorneys in NampaNTL top 100 member seal - IconMember, Idaho Hispanic Chamber of Commerce