Call Now (24/7)
Or Send Us A Message
Call Now (24/7) - 208.466.0030

Frequently Asked Questions

Get maximum compensation for your personal or work comp injury.

Q: When should I call an attorney?

You should talk with an attorney whenever you have suffered a physical injury caused by another person OR you have suffered an injury at work. It costs nothing to consult one of our attorneys.

Failing to consult with an attorney in an injury case could cost you a loss of money and loss of your rights as an injured person or worker. There is no charge to speak to an attorney at Skaug Law to discuss your case.

Q: How do I choose the best lawyer for my situation?

Experience, results, reputation, resources and commitment. Our Nampa office has been serving the legal needs of injured persons for 23 years. Our practice emphasizes personal injury, workers’ compensation and wrongful death. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients in settlements and verdicts.

Our attorneys are licensed in Idaho, Oregon, Montana, and Arizona. We are members of the Idaho Trial Lawyers Association and The American Association for Justice. We have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and are highly rated in online reviews.

Q: What will it cost to hire an attorney to help me in an injury case?

You pay nothing up front. We work on a contingency basis. We are paid when we win a financial judgment for you. If we don’t win, you pay no attorney fees. In most personal injury cases, the attorney fee is 30% of funds recovered for the client.

In workers’ compensation cases, the attorney fee is usually 25% of the recovery of disputed benefits. Experience has shown that clients who hire an attorney receive more for themselves than people who pursue their case on their own.

Q: What is a personal injury case?

A personal injury case arises whenever one person injures another through negligence, recklessness or simple stupidity. If you are injured by another person, you have a right to get money for your medical bills, wage loss and misery caused by that person’s actions.

To win in court, the injured person must prove that the wrongdoer was negligent or at fault. It is best to consult a lawyer if you have been seriously injured. Car wrecks, slip and fall accidents, toxic exposure, accidental death, dog bites, child abuse and battery are some examples of personal injury acts.

Q: What is a workers’ compensation case?

Any time an employee is injured while working for the employer, that employee is entitled to benefits (rights) under the workers’ compensation laws, including, but not limited to payment of all medical bills, wage loss, transportation to medical care, retraining, impairment benefits and disability benefits.

Employers are required, by law, to carry workers’ compensation insurance to pay for these benefits should one of their workers get injured on the job.

Q: What if my employer refuses to report that I have been injured or threatens me if I turn in the claim?

Contact an experienced attorney immediately to be advised of your rights. There may be time deadlines you are required to meet.

Q: What is the Idaho Industrial Commission?

Think of the Idaho Industrial Commission as the courthouse for injured workers. All work injuries must be reported by employers to the Industrial Commission. For more information about the Industrial Commission, you may view their website or contact them at (208) 334-6000 or (800) 950-2110.

Q: What is a Statute of Limitation?

A statute of limitation is a rule establishing a time period within which a lawsuit must be brought. If a lawsuit is not brought within that time period, the right to sue is lost forever. The statute of limitations for a personal injury lawsuit is usually two years.

Because of the statute of limitation laws, you must act quickly to ensure your legal rights are protected. If a government entity is the potential Defendant, a Tort Claim must be filed, usually within 180 days of the accident. If the Tort Claim is not filed, you may lose your right to sue for recovery. (Extended times for filing usually apply to children.)

Q: Now that I have been hurt on the job, what payments can I expect?

With an attorney handling your case, you can expect payments for

  • Medical Treatment – “To cure and relieve” the effects of your injury.
  • Temporary Disability checks – If the doctor takes you off work or puts you on light duty and you cannot work, a check for 2/3 of your gross wages should be paid to you every two weeks. If you are a high wage earner, the checks may be less than 2/3 due to a legal limit.
  • Permanent Impairment Checks – Monthly checks when you return to work if you have a permanent injury. The number of months you receive checks depends on the severity of your injury.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation/Disability – If you can’t return to your old job or type of work, you are likely eligible to receive disability checks.
Q: The insurance company wants to tape-record a statement from me and they want me to sign papers. Should I cooperate?

Remember, the insurance company’s primary goal is to not pay out money or to pay as little as possible. If you have been seriously injured, contact an attorney call 208.466.0030, (or 800.944.1210) for free advice about signing papers and whether to give a tape-recorded statement.

Q: What is a TORT?

A tort is a civil wrong that results in damages or injuries. Usually, when suing a governmental entity like the city or state, you must file a tort claim within 180 days of the accident/injury.

Call our law office for details, 208.466.0030 (or 800.944.1210).